Walking for Women
A community of women from all walks of life. We are joining together as a supportive and co-ordinated network to make a difference to the lives of other women.
‘The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.’
‘When we invest in women and girls, we are investing in the people who invest in everyone else.’
100 women to walk 100 kms to raise $100,000 for causes associated with helping women rise.
Our long-term vision is that this walk is repeated many times.
Each women walker commits to raising $1000. We will support you.
Women walk either solo, or with others. Women walk where they want, when they want.
Our collective initial target is AUD $100,000
We need your help though. We need women: beautiful, gorgeous women of all ages who wish to walk and raise funds.
If you can’t walk can you donate? Even $5 makes a difference.
If you can’t donate can you share what we are doing?
A multi-layered program
- We want to raise awareness and increase our consciousness about issues that directly affect women including homelessness, the gender pay gap, poverty, domestic violence and war.
- We want to support the rise of women in communities and increase connection. All good society is built around social cohesion.
- We want to support and showcase women leaders, from all sectors, including women leading their families and in their communities.
- We want to create, not divide, the communities that we live in.
- We want to support, not reduce, funding to issues that affect women.
- We want to put money back into organizations that support women: organisations that are struggling to survive because of funding cuts.
- We want to raise the profile and voice of those that need our help.
- We want to walk to improve our fitness and have fun along the way.
- We want to make a difference and directly contribute to causes that we are passionate about.
- We want to build community and help women’s voices be heard.
- We want to stimulate dialogue about charities that we walk for.
- We want to raise $100,000 for distribution to programs related to women in Australia.
- We want to scale the program across multiple walks, multiple states and multiple countries.
- We want to build a web of community, locally and globally
- We want to increase health and resilience amongst women in particular.
- We want to develop strategies to build social cohesion decrease our separateness and increase our dependence upon one another improving the sharing of skills and resources.
Q. When do we walk?
A. Walk where you want, when you want. Track your km’s on any app. Walk solo or join with a friend. 3.33 km per day is 100km over a month. And … take as long as you need. Walk every day or have some days off. Walking around the house, to school, to work, at work all count.
Q. How do I join?
A. Email us now. We will help you every step on the way. Full details are in the briefing paper. Download now.
Q. What charity will my funds raised go to?
A. We encourage you to walk for a registered charity that aligns with one of your points of passion. We will help you set up your own campaign. Or you might like to join a team one of our many teams who is already walking for a charity that resonates with you. Once again, we will help you get set up. Please read the following documents and then email us today.
- Walking for Women: Briefing paper
- Join a Team
- How to Set up a Walking for Women Campaign
Q. What about men?
A. Join us! Great men support women.
- Support women to walk
- Donate to our Campaigns
- Become a Corporate Sponsor or
- Help champion a corporate team.
This has been a 10-year vision in the making.
I am a business woman and I know how to scale. I am a peace builder and a mum with a heart for community. I have worked across the world, often in countries emerging out of violent conflict. I have witnessed the pain of persecution and the collapse of society because of war. I have watched recent politics use strategies to divide our own community and that deeply concerns me. I know that we are better, more compassionate and more able to help when we work together to help those in our community in need instead of marginalizing them even more.
And I love walking.
All in all this came together to form Walking for Women
Why Women? For many reasons but here are a few
- If we continue on our current trajectory women will achieve pay parity with men in 208 years.
- On retirement, the average superannuation balance of women is 57.5% of the average balance of men.[i]
- 1 in 2 women experience sexual harassment during their life time.[ii]
- One of the fastest growing cohorts of the population facing homelessness are women over the age of 60.
- 80.6% of sole parents in Tasmania are women.[iii]
- ◦ 13% of our reported homeless people in 2016 were children under the age of 12.
- In 2018 Australia ranked 48th in the world in terms of female political empowerment. (The representation of women in politics). This is down from 32nd in 2006.[iv]
- The mass systemic rape of women is now used as a ‘tactic in war’ because it breaks down social norms and community structure with the women who has been rape often forced out of her community.
Walk and bring people together to raise funds for issues that relate to women. As we walk, we build community and also continue to develop our own capacity for compassion. When we practice altruism, when we act to promote someone else’s welfare, we actively increase the development of that part of our nervous system and one by one we grow as we support others to grow.
‘In order for us to advance as a safe more equitable society women also need the support of really good men.’
We have launched and it has a life of its own already.
How can you help? How can you join?
1. Donate to one of our causes – Go Fund Me: Current Campaigns
a. Even $5.00 helps. There is no amount that is too small, or too big!
2. Follow us and share – help spread the word. It makes such a difference
a. Walking for Women FB and Walking for Women IG and
b. Mary C Dwyer FB and Mary C Dwyer IG
3. Want to walk? Download and review the 3 briefing documents on this site. We will help you every step of the way including with fab advertising and send us through your questions. We are building this together
Briefing Paper Walking for Women
How to set up a Walking for Women Go Fund Me Campaign
Approximate Funds Raised
Amazing Women Walking
We Celebrate Women Who Have Walked
Their Reflections and Their Stories